|IndyWatch First People News Feed Archiver|
IndyWatch First People News Feed was generated at World News IndyWatch.
The chairman of the Hualapai Tribe told a Senate committee Wednesday that a proposed 70-mile, $173 million water project would lay the groundwork for expansion of Grand Canyon W...
Survival International has lodged a formal complaint to OFCOM over a Channel Four News report which alleged that many Brazilian tribes routinely kill disabled children, a claim widely attacked by experts.
The report focussed on Atini, an evangelical mission in Brazil which takes in children from the Suruwaha and other tribal groups. It also expressed support for Muwaji’s Law, a measure proposed by evangelicals and conservative members of the Brazilian congress which could give authorities the power to break up indigenous families on suspicion of infanticide.
Survival’s legal team has lodged a complaint to OFCOM, the UK government’s broadcasting regulator, citing the report’s lack of impartiality and its failure to give viewers all the relevant facts.
In the complaint, Survival’s Director Stephen Corry said: “Infanticide among the tribe to which Muwaji and her daughter belong, the Suruwaha, is extremely rare. Among isolated tribal communities in the Amazon generally, many anthropologists believe that infanticide is equally rare.
“Channel 4’s reporter made no reference at all to this body of opinion, either because he was not aware of its existence when he should have been or because he thought that this might reduce the dramatic impact of the story.”
At a conference on the issue of infanticide arranged by UNICEF in 2009, a Brazilian Indian said: “The draft law [Muwaji’s Law] is racist because it does not consider or even mention that non-Indians kill their children much more. If the white people commit this crime more frequently than the Indians, why is a law just against Indians being pushed forward? The white people kill us and they are not detained. We face a racist law: our assassins are not incriminated by a specific law, but we are.”
WATCH: "Is This America?" Co-Founder of Sacred Stone Camp Recalls
Dog Attack on Native Americans | Democracy Now!: Standing Rock
Sioux tribal historian LaDonna Brave Bull Allard, a co-founder of
the Sacred Stone Camp that launched on her land on April 1 to
resist the Dakota Access pipeline, recalls the day security guards
working for the Dakota Access pipeline company attacked Native
Americans with dogs and pepper spray. She says construction
continues despite a court ruling asking the company to stop, and
describes current organizing efforts at the camp.
Watch our previous interview with Allard: "Standing Rock Sioux Historian: Dakota Access Co. Attack Comes on Anniversary of Whitestone Massacre"
Holocaust Survivor: Trump Jr.'s Skittles Comment Brings Back Dark Images of Children Murdered in WWII | Democracy Now!: We get response from a Holocaust survivor to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr.'s comparison of Syrian refugees to poisoned Skittles. On Monday, he tweeted a graphic reading, "If I had a bowl of Skittles and I told you just three would kill you. Would you take a handful? That's our Syrian refugee problem." The parent company of Skittles responded, saying, "Skittles are candy. Refugees are people. We don’t feel it’s an appropriate analogy." "It brings back the dark images of children being murdered," says Manfred Lindenbaum, a Holocaust survivor and advocate for refugees. In 1939, he and his brother fled from Poland to England on the famous Kindertransport just days before the Nazis invaded. In 1946, the Jewish refugee organization HIAS reunited Manfred with an aunt and an uncle in New Jersey. He has been in the U.S. ever since.
In case you missed it last week, actress and activist Shailene Woodley appeared on NBC’s Late Night with Seth Myers on Thursday to discuss her newest movi...
Oklahoma, home to nearly 40 American Indian tribes, is full of renowned artwork from Native artists....
Activist Daniel T’seleie says his arrest is part of an escalation of state force against pipeline opponents
By Mark Rendell, CBC News, September 21, 2016
A Northern activist arrested last week while protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline plans to return home later this week, although he’ll have to head back south for his court date, he says.
Daniel T’seleie — who has roots in Fort Good Hope and Yellowknife — was arrested on Sept. 14, for allegedly attaching himself to an excavator at a Dakota Access work site.
“I don’t want to get into too many details because it still is an open court case and I’m going to have to return here to court. But I was charged with reckless endangerment, which is a felony, and then I was charged with three misdemeanours,” said T’seleie, over the phone from New Salem, 110 kilometres northwest of Cannon Ball, N.D.
According to a Morton County peace officer’s affidavit, filed with the state of North Dakota, “[T’seleie] used a sleeping dragon device to secure himself,” referring to the protest technique in which handcuffs are hidden inside PVC piping, making it very difficult for officials to remove them.
“He refused several orders to release himself, which he was able to do at any time he wished, forcing law enforcement to cut the device off using power tools,” the peace officer wrote.
“This is part of a response that we’re seeing from the state here, which is trying to scare people from using any type of non-violent direct action tactics that actually stop construction of the pipeline,” said T’seleie.
T’seleie sees his felony arrest as part of a broader escalation of state force against the activists who have gathered in solidarity with the Standing Rock Reservation to protest the $3.8 billion pipeline that’s supposed to transport oil from the Bakken oilfield near the Canadian border to Illinois.
“They’re setting the bail amount at $1,500, and they’ve also increased the bail amount for other misdemeanors,” he said.
“It’s kind of as a cash grab for the county but also as a way to prevent people from doing this, because there’s only a limited amount of resources right now in terms of legal support and jail support… [and they’re trying] to discourage people from undertaking direct action tactics that would actually physically stop construction of the pipeline at specific sites for a whole day or longer.”
T’seleie has been in New Salem, teaching just such tactics to fellow activists.
“Primarily what I’ve been doing here, along with a few other people, is running non-violent direct action training that are geared towards people who don’t have a lot of experience with non-violent direct action.”
This means teaching the theory behind non-violent direct action, as well as how to do it safely, he says.
“One thing direct action can be used for, is to stop construction of the pipeline at one worksite for a full day...
Standing Rock Sioux Chairman David Archambault II called on the United Nations on Tuesday to halt construction of the Dakota Access oil pipeline through tribal treaty territory...
This week the Museum of Indian Art and Culture (MIAC) in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in partnership with the National Museum of the American Indian, Washington, D.C....
The healing scent of burning sage and sweetgrass was in the air as members of the Pueblo of Sandia and other nations marched up Tribal Route 72 just north of Albuquerque on Wedn...
Julie Johnson, Lummi, was named Committee Member of the Year at the Washington State Democratic Party’s 23rd annual War...
by Adrian Humphreys, National Post, September 20, 2016
A Thunder Bay, Ont., businessman has been charged with fraudulently misdirecting government money meant to buy breakfasts for children at an impoverished northern Ontario First Nation reserve for his personal use.
Giuseppe (Joe) Crupi, 50, co-manager of Kashechewan First Nation on the coast of James Bay and part of the Thunder Bay-based Crupi Consulting Group, was charged Tuesday.
Crupi was responsible for managing funds obtained by the band from Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.
He fraudulently obtained more than $1.2 million of federal money from INAC’s National Child Benefit Reinvestment Program from 2007 to 2012 through annual applications for funding, the RCMP alleged.
The money was meant to provide breakfasts for about 400 elementary school children at St. Andrew’s School, a school for children from junior kindergarten to Grade 7 and a focal point for the community of 1,900 people.
The RCMP allege Crupi misappropriated about $694,000 of this money for his personal use in 2007, 2008 and 2012.
“(Crupi) made annual applications and reported on 400 children benefiting from a breakfast program to St. Andrew’s School,” said Sgt. Penny Hermann.
“The RCMP investigation concluded that the service was not provided to the 400 children as reported and the co-manager, Crupi Consulting, personally profited from the contribution fund.”
The RCMP’s serious and organized crime section in Thunder Bay charged Crupi Tuesday with three counts of fraud, three counts of uttering forged documents, laundering the proceeds of crime, and possession of property obtained by crime.
Questions over the breakfast funds were raised in 2012 during an annual audit of the band’s finances by the federal government.
Several band council members questioned Crupi Consulting Group invoices that were paid out by the first nation which did not contain supporting documentation, according to the RCMP.
In December 2012, Aboriginal Affairs North Development Canada, as it was called then, referred the audit irregularities and purported misappropriation of funds to the RCMP for investigation.
A message left for Crupi and Crupi Consulting Group were not returned by deadline. Kashechewan First Nation officials could not immediately be reached. Requests for comment from both the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Carolyn Bennett and the government department made late Tuesday went unanswered by deadline.
Crupi was scheduled to appear in court in Thunder Bay on Wednesday.
The RCMP investigation concluded that the service was not provided to the 400 children as reported
Crupi Consulting Group’s website describes itself as “one of Northern Ontario’s leading strategic management consulting and training groups specializing in business development, management services, economic analysis and deve...
Christian groups slam Israel over Gaza 'prison', call on US to cut
military aid | Christian News on Christian Today: The statement
called on the US to "cease its practice of arming various state and
non-state actors in the Middle East and, in particular, to
reconsider its proposed $38 billion military aid package to Israel,
for the last thing needed at this time is more weapons," and "end
the current wave of legislative efforts to penalize the use of
non-violent economic measures to influence policy in Israel."
The statement said: "No people should be denied their rights and, certainly, no people should be denied their rights for generations. The unresolved conflict in Israel and Palestine is primarily about justice, and until the requirement of justice is met, peace cannot be established. As Israel's occupation of East Jerusalem, the West Bank, and Gaza nears the 50-year mark, generations have been suffering under this reality."
People in community born without toes, an extra thumb, but few are compensated
By Martha Troian, CBC News, September 20, 2016
Forty-five years ago, mercury pollution from a pulp and paper mill poisoned hundreds of kilometres of waterways in northwestern Ontario.
Asubpeeschoseewagong First Nation, also known as Grassy Narrows, often makes headlines for its fight against the mercury poisoning. But few have heard of a tiny community called Wabaseemoong, also called Whitedog, just downstream.
Located approximately 100 kilometres northeast of Kenora, the community still grapples with the lingering effects of the methylmercury poisoning — a condition known as Minamata disease — which many blame for birth defects that appear in children in their community.
Recently, two experts from Japan, Dr. Masanori Hanada and Dr. Naoki Morishita, visited Wabaseemoong and Grassy Narrows as part of their research in a disease that’s endured for decades.
“I cannot say exactly why, maybe there is mercury in their diet, or there is an after-effect of 20 or 30 years, but it is not normal to find this sign in the younger generation,” Hanada said to CBC News.
Now community members from the Wabaseemoong First Nation want to know why so few have been compensated and why the amount given hasn’t changed since the 1980s.
Kimberly McDonald, 31, of Wabaseemoong First Nation, describes the burning discomfort in her feet as phantom pain. She was born without toes — just small stubs without nails.
“I get lots of pain in my foot, I have no toes, so it’s hard to walk,” she says.
In order to walk, McDonald has learned to balance herself on the ball of her right foot.
“I have a really bad callus on my foot, where I step all the time,” she says, adding how she has a large, painful blister on her foot, too.
“When I step too hard [or] put too much weight on it, then I get a sharp, shooting pain that goes up my leg.”
For the pain she must endure for the rest of her life, McDonald receives $250 a month from the Mercury Disability Board, a government-controlled body that determines who is suffering from mercury poisoning and the compensation they’ll receive on a monthly basis.
“I grew up eating fish. My mom grew up eating fish while she was pregnant with me,” says McDonald.
Beginning in the 1960s, mercury used in the bleaching process at a Dryden, Ont., pulp and paper mill was simply being flushed into the Wabigoon River system.
A decade later, the Ontario government discovered what the company was doing and ordered it to stop — but by then nearly 10 tonnes of mercury had been released into the river and had spread as far as Lake Winnipeg, nearly 300 kilometres west.
Stolen Land and Healing Historic Trauma | Te Wharepora Hou:
Every day we at Tu Tama are engaged in the therapeutic process of
addressing abuse, neglect, dysfunction, chaos and crisis that stems
from violence and the intentional harm of others. As an
organisation we are absolutely resolute in our stance that family
violence is not OK, that violence in any form is not OK.
We are founded and named after the principles established at Parihaka by Te Whiti o Rongomai and Tohu Kakahi and their instructions to the women of Taranaki to maintain the tikanga, care and wellbeing of Taranaki whanau.
Court ruled Ottawa had not adequately consulted Indigenous peoples along project’s route
By Chris Hall, John Paul Tasker, CBC News, September 20, 2016
Northern Gateway will not appeal a recent Federal Court of Appeal decision that overturned Ottawa’s approval of the controversial pipeline project.
The court ruled in June that the federal government had not adequately consulted with Indigenous peoples who will be affected by the project, which is backed by the energy company Enbridge, and which would stretch from outside Edmonton to a marine terminal in Kitimat, B.C.
“We believe that meaningful consultation and collaboration, and not litigation, is the best path forward for everyone involved,” the pipeline’s president, John Carruthers, said in a statement.
“We believe the government has a responsibility to meet their constitutional legal obligations to meaningfully consult with First Nations and Metis.”
The former Harper government gave the go-ahead to the Northern Gateway project after a National Energy Board joint review panel gave its approval subject to 209 conditions.
But the government was supposed to meet a constitutional requirement to consult with Indigenous peoples following the NEB’s approval, something the Federal Court said was not properly done.
“We find that Canada offered only a brief, hurried and inadequate opportunity … to exchange and discuss information and to dialogue,” the ruling said. “It would have taken Canada little time and little organizational effort to engage in meaningful dialogue on these and other subjects of prime importance to Aboriginal Peoples. But this did not happen.”
Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr has until Thursday to decide whether the government will appeal the decision or pursue an alternative scenario, which could include launching full consultations with Indigenous peoples to comply with the court’s ruling. Or, the government could decide to simply let the decision stand without further action, effectively killing the project.
Then, the federal cabinet could make a decision to either reject or approve Northern Gateway based on those consultations or the project could be punted back to the National Energy Board for reconsideration.
|IndyWatch First People News Feed Archiver|
IndyWatch First People News Feed was generated at World News IndyWatch.
Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog